Self-Righteousness and The Fear of Man

Self-righteousness is a wide-open door to the fear of man.

If I fear what people think of me, fear missing out on the opportunities people can offer me, or fear what man might do to me, it's because I am self-righteous, or relying on my own self, and my own judgments... My own leadership... To be seen as good.

Proverbs 29:25-27 NKJV — The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe. Many seek the ruler’s favor, But justice for man comes from the LORD. An unjust man is an abomination to the righteous, And he who is upright in the way is an abomination to the wicked.


True righteousness comes from God. True goodness comes from God alone. It does not depend on, nor can it be diminished by, anyone else. If I live in this truth, all fear of man fades out of my thinking.

This is how I know I really live in God's love: I am able to love even enemies because I see God as sovereign over all people. I love just because God loves me, not for what anyone has done against me, or for me.

Worldly people treat others based on how they have been treated. No amount of effort to please God will overcome worldliness. Worldliness has to be dealt with to please God. It is impossible to love God and fear people simultaneously... God's love casts out fear. Then we love God by reflecting His love back to Him.

Godly people treat others based on how God has treated them.

1 John 4:16-21 NKJV — And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us. If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.

 


Comments

Most Popular Posts

The New Wineskin of the Body. Am I In or Out?

Love is Required

Weakness Embraced: The Prerequisite for Power Poured In

The Difference Between God's Voice and the World's Clamoring

Peace Without Jesus